What Is a Limited Liability Company (LLC)?
- A limited liability company (LLC) is an unincorporated business organization of one or more people who generally have limited liability for the business’s debts and contractual obligations.
- An LLC is a separate and distinct legal entity from its owners, protecting your personal assets (like your vehicle, house or savings accounts) from business-related lawsuits, liabilities, judgments and creditors.
- Forming an LLC is more complicated than creating a sole proprietorship or general partnership, but less burdensome than creating a corporation.
- They are created by filing Articles of Organization with the NYS Department of State (DOS).
- You will also need to draft a written Operating Agreement establishing the rights, powers, duties, liabilities and obligations of the LLC’s members.
- LLCs might be a good choice for medium- to higher-risk businesses and for owners with significant personal assets.
Can I File a DBA for My LLC in the Broome County Clerk’s Office?
No. Corporations, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies (LLCs) are required by statute to conduct business under their true legal name.
If they wish to conduct activities under an assumed name, they must file a DBA or Certificate of Assumed Name with the NYS Department of State, not the Broome County Clerk’s Office.
- For more information please visit https://dos.ny.gov/certificate-assumed-name-domestic-and-foreign-limited-liability-companies-0.
- Form: https://dos.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2019/01/1338-f_0.pdf
- Form Instructions: https://dos.ny.gov/instructions-completing-certificate-assumed-name-0
Where Can I Publish My LLC Notice in Broome County?
Under §206 of New York State’s Limited Liability Company Law, LLCs are required to publish a notice in 2 general-circulation newspapers (one daily, one weekly) in the county where the LLC was formed.
- This must be done within 120 days of the LLC’s formation.
The following newspapers as satisfactory for the LLC publication requirements in Broome County:
|Publication||Phone Number/Email||Daily / Weekly|
|Press & Sun Bulletin||(607) 798-1234||Daily|
|The Deposit Courier||(607) 467-3600||Weekly|
|The Windsor Standard||(607) 775-0472 / Legals@TiersNews.com||Weekly|
|The Country Courier||(607) 775-0472 / Legals@TiersNews.com||Weekly|
|The Vestal Town Crier||(607) 775-0472 / Legals@TiersNews.com||Weekly|
Press & Sun-Bulletin
33 Lewis Road, Suite 9
Binghamton, NY 13905
Windsor Standard, County Courier & Vestal Town Crier
Newspaper Publishers LLC
1035 Conklin Road
PO Box 208
Conklin, NY 13748
24 Laurel Bank Avenue # 1
Deposit, New York, 13754