Real Property Tax Services

Hours of Operation:

Monday - Friday 8 am - 4 pm EXCEPT HOLIDAYS

With the continued COVID-19 threat we encourage all taxpayers to mail in their tax payments versus using in-person payment venues at the County Office Building and Oakdale Mall locations.

NYS Homeowner Assistance Fund:

The New York State Homeowner Assistance Fund (NYS HAF) is a federally funded program dedicated to assisting homeowners who are at risk of default, foreclosure or displacement as result of a financial hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

NYS HAF expects to receive significantly more applications than can be funded by the program. The online portal opens on January 3, 2022 and applications will be processed in the order they were received. Application submission does not guarantee you will receive financial assistance.

Click here to join the waiting list

For additional information on this program, click here.


City of Binghamton taxpayers are requested to mail in their tax payments to the BC Director of OMB at PO Box 2087 Binghamton, NY 13902 (include a copy of your tax bill.)

If you are currently in a Delinquent Installment Tax Agreement, your monthly payment is still due according to your payment schedule. Please mail your payment to BC Real Property Tax Service, PO Box 2087, Binghamton, NY 13902. Please include your control/agreement number on your check or money order.

To request information regarding entering a NEW Installment Agreement, please call 607-778-6431 and leave your name, the town the property is in, tax map number, property address, and your daytime phone number. We will return your call once the research is complete and we have the information available for you.

In an effort to help control the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the residents and employees of Broome County, Real Property will no longer offer off-site collection for school or property tax payments in any of the Towns. We encourage all residents to take advantage of mailing in their payments, or online credit cards, or e-check payments as methods to pay their taxes. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this transition.

Off-site tax collection offices will be centralized at the Oakdale Mall (former Sears Building) and the Broome County Office (Edwin L. Crawford Building). Both Locations will have drop-boxes available for payments as well. The former Sears location will be open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. for collection of current taxes only, September and October for school tax payments. January through March for Town and County tax payments, for the school districts and towns that Broome County Real Property collects taxes for. The Broome County Office location will continue to collect both current and delinquent taxes year-round.

These changes take effect September 1, 2020, and will apply to the following School Districts: Binghamton City School, Sunrise Terrace, Chenango Forks, Chenango Valley, Deposit Central School, Harpursville, Johnson City, Maine-Endwell, Susquehanna Valley, Union-Endicott, and Whitney Point School Districts. Then in January 2021, the following Towns: Binghamton, Chenango, Conklin, Dickinson, Fenton, Kirkwood, Nanticoke, Union, and the City of Binghamton.

Owner Declaration of COVID-19 Related Hardship

Information on Broome County Tax Foreclosure Auction

Check back for details on the next Broome County Tax Foreclosure Auction.

Mission Statement

The Real Property Tax Service of Broome County seeks to improve the administration and understanding of the real property tax. Technical and professional assistance is provided to other county departments, local governments, local town assessors, school districts, the taxpayers and public, attorneys, and real estate professionals in all aspects of real property tax.

Contact Information

Broome County Real Property Tax Service
60 Hawley Street, 2nd Floor
P. O. Box 2087
Binghamton, NY 13902

Telephone: 607.778.2169 or 607.778.2124
Fax: 607.778.2359

Real Property Tax Service Staff

Michael T. Decker, Director
Susan M. Pufky, Assistant Director
Wendy S. Hughes, Receiver of Taxes


  • Train and assist local assessors in coordination with NYS Office of Real Property
  • Train members of Boards of Assessment Review
  • Assist assessors with the completion of annual reports
  • Provide assessment rolls and exemption forms to local assessors
  • Work with towns and school districts for preparation of tax rolls, tax bills, and mailing
  • Provide property and assessment information to taxpayers, property owners, and other interested parties
  • Maintain property sales records.
  • Serve as the tax collection agency for the City of Binghamton, Towns of Binghamton, Chenango, Conklin, Dickinson, Fenton, Kirkwood, Nanticoke, Union, Windsor, and the School Districts of City of Binghamton including Sunrise Terrace, Chenango Forks, Chenango Valley, Deposit, Harpursville, Johnson City, Maine-Endwell, Susquehanna Valley, Union-Endicott and Whitney Point.
  • Maintain tax maps for all towns and villages in Broome County
  • Administer the installment tax payment program
  • Identify the delinquent tax parcels and manage the county tax foreclosure auction

Assessment Changes

  • If you feel your assessment is inequitable or excessive, you have the right to seek a review. For further information go to  Grievance day is the 4th Tuesday in May annually.
  • Contact your local Assessor for more information. Broome County Real Property does not handle assessments and disputes.


Tax Exemption Information

You may be eligible for any of the below exemptions:

  • Senior Exemption: Certain Villages, Town, and School Districts have granted a tax exemption to persons 65 years of age or older, who have owned and occupied their home for 12 consecutive months ad their legal residence. Used exclusively for residential purposes and meet certain income limitations. For filing instructions go to  You must apply by March 1, of the year you turn 65.
  • Disability Exemption: Requirements and form can be found at
  • STAR Exemption: Requirements and form can be found at or NY STAR hotline 518-457-2036
  • All exemptions are done via your local Assessor. EXCEPT for STAR exemptions, those are processed through the NYS Taxation and Finance Department. Broome County Real Property does not grant or process any exemptions.


Deed Filing Information

When eRecording, please complete the TP-584 and RP-5217 forms online in PDF format and submit electronically with the deed.

For deeds submitted via hard copy, complete the PDF forms online, print, and submit them with the deeds.

The PDF forms can be found on the Internet at:



Please go to for more information.

Address and Name Changes

To change your permanent tax billing address, please complete and submit the Online Tax Roll Change Form.
Alternately, you can download, print, complete, and return the Tax Roll Change form (pdf) to Real Property. Please include documentation if required.
This form does not remove anyone from your tax bill; you will need to file a new deed with the Clerk's Office ( for more information.

Combination Request

To combine properties, please complete the Request to Combine Properties for Assessment Purposes form and deliver it to the appropriate Town/City Assessor for approval and signature.

The Assessor will then send it to Real Property for processing.

Third-Party Notification Form

If you are 65 or older or disabled and would like a copy of your tax bill to be sent to a designated person, please complete the Request for Mailing of Duplicate Tax Bills or Statements of Unpaid Taxes to a Third Party form.