Department of Social Services

Vision Statement

To be an organization which promotes self-sufficiency and assures the protection of vulnerable individuals. We strive to have an organization which values the needs of our customers, the contributions of our staff, and the participation of our community. This vision shall be achieved through a culture which encourages continuous improvement.

Welcome to the Broome County Department of Social Services!

The Broome County Department of Social Services (DSS) is open. We are strongly encouraging the public to submit applications for services electronically (when available), mail or drop off in the drop off box located at DSS, 36-42 Main St., Binghamton, NY. We will continue to meet with clients in person to address emergency needs such as homelessness, eviction, and disconnected utilities, or as otherwise needed at the Main St. office. 


Become familiar with the NYS Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP); watch this video:

Beginning June 1st-

The New York State Emergency Rental Assistance Program: ERAP Portal will be located on the OTDA website:

The Helpline is 1 844 NY1RENT  or 1 844 691-7368

For assistance with the application process call 211.

Information regarding the New York State Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) can be found here:

  • New The Child Tax Credit Update Portal allows families to verify their eligibility for the payments and if they choose to, unenroll, or opt out from receiving the monthly payments so they can receive a lump sum when they file their tax return next year.
  • The Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool  English | Spanish (new)

SNAP- LDSS-5186 (Rev. 8/21)                                    ATTENTION: PARENTS

 Notice to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) & Temporary Assistance Households with Children Eligible for Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) Food Benefits. Find information at the link-

Access to:

  • Apply for SNAP,
  • Apply for Temporary Assistance,
  • Apply for HEAP,
  • Check to see if you are eligible for Temporary Assistance, Medicaid or tax credits,
  • There is an application for Child Support Services that can be completed and mailed in or brought to the office. 
  • You can create an account to:
    • Change Pin,
    • Check your transaction history or get account balances,
    • Report your EBT card lost or stolen.
    • Recertify your SNAP or HEAP case.
    • Report changes or view case details.
    • Continue to complete a SNAP or HEAP Application and track its progress as well as submit verification and documentation
    • You can also be directed to the Social Security Administration website to complete and online application
    • There is a form section where you are able to download forms for Recertification form for Public Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid and SNAP, and Medicaid and Public Assistance
    • You can also report fraud directly from the website.
 To apply for Temporary Assistance or Emergency Assistance, please apply on line at, or visit our office. 
Are you mailing in or dropping off an application for assistance?  Then you must ensure that there is a good, working telephone number is on the application.  Eligibility staff will be calling the phone number given on the application to set-up a follow-up appointment.  If you are dropping off an application at the Front desk, the staff there will do a brief screening of your application.
If you have an active case and are trying to reach a worker in Temporary Assistance, SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), Medicaid or HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program)?  Please call 607.778.1100.

For Medicaid casesAs a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all active Medicaid cases with the coverage dates ending in  April, May and June, July, August, September and October. are being extended for 12 months.  You will not be required to renew your Medicaid eligibility during the emergency period.

Need a Medicaid Nursing Home application?  Please call, 607.778.2793.

Link to: NYS Child Support website.

Phone numbers for Social Services Programs are located in the "Contact Us" portion of the website.

DSS HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices

Child Abuse/Neglect 24 Hour State Hotline:  Toll free dial '1' & then...    800-342-3720