What Is Commercial Hazardous Waste?
Hazardous waste from daily activities or outdated materials in storage may have one or more of the following characteristics which make them hazardous:
- Ignitability (such as paints, solvents, and degreasers)
- Corrosivity (such as acids and heavy-duty cleaners)
- Reactivity (such as bleaches and oxidizing agents)
- Toxicity (such as pesticides and herbicides)
Who Can Participate in The Commercial Program?
Businesses* in Broome and Tioga County that qualify to be Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG’s) may participate.
The regulations for being a CESQG from 40 CFR part 262 and 261.5 are:
- You generate no more than 220lbs. (100 kg) of hazardous waste or 2.2 lbs. (1 kg) acute hazardous waste per month.
- You may not store more than 2,200 lbs. (1,000 kg).
- You ensure delivery of the hazardous waste to an appropriate facility.
- You may not self-transport more than 220 lbs. of hazardous waste per month. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please call 607.763.4305.
* Businesses include: Commercial Businesses, Institutions, Schools, and Not for Profit Businesses.
All CESQGs registering to use the Facility must pay an annual permit fee. Your permit fee is based on the month you submit your forms. See the below prorated schedule. *Cash and Check Only – Checks made out to Broome County Commissioner of Finance
All permits expire 12/31
January – December $40.00 $80.00
April – December $30.00 $60.00
July – December $20.00 $40.00
October – December $10.00 $20.00
Additionally, a disposal fee of $.75 per pound will be charged for all hazardous wastes brought to the Facility.
Procedure for Using the Hazardous Waste Facility
- If you are a first time user, download the Annual Permit Application complete and return with your permit payment. You will receive an annual permit card in the mail. The permit card must be displayed on the driver-side door or window when bringing waste to the Facility.
- Every time prior to taking the hazardous waste to the Hazardous Waste Facility you MUST send in a Registration Form for CESQG’s. This form should be emailed to Brian.R.Donnelly@broomecounty.us. This will facilitate making an appointment for one of the scheduled drop off days. See drop off schedule for dates and times.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) for all materials listed on the waste registration form should be included.
- Upon arrival at the facility your hazardous wastes will be removed from your vehicle by staff, and then weighed to determine the disposal fee. A receipt for the wastes will be given to the driver and a bill will be mailed to your company.
- You will be sent a permit renewal application prior to the expiration of your current permit.