Below is a listing of less toxic alternatives to some common household products.
- Drain Cleaner :: ½ cup baking soda followed by ½ cup vinegar; let set for 15 min., follow with boiling water; snake or plunger.
- Oven Cleaner :: 2 Tbs. Castile soap, 2 Tsp. Borax and 2 cups water set in oven for 20 min; scrub with baking soda and salt.
- Furniture Polish :: 3 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar; water stains: toothpaste on a damp cloth.
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner :: 1 cup Borax, ¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice (optional); pour into toilet; let sit a few hours; scrub with toilet brush.
- Soft Scrub :: ¼ cup baking soda; vegetable oil soap (enough to make baking soda into a creamy paste); Scoop onto a sponge and wash surface; rinse thoroughly.
- Window Cleaner :: ¼ - ½ tsp. Vegetable oil soap; 3 T. vinegar; 2 cup water; spray on windows; wipe dry with cotton cloth or newspaper.
- Lemon Linoleum Floor Cleaner :: ¼ cup liquid vegetable oil based soap; ½ cup lemon juice; 2 gallons warm water; wash floors as usual.
- Houseplant Insecticide :: mix 2 tbs. Dishwashing liquid with 2 cups water and spray on leaves.