By law, every resident, business and school in Broome County is required to recycle. Multi-family residences including apartment complexes, condominiums, multi-family units, hotels and motels are required to comply with our local law!
If you do not have municipal collection the facility manager/landlord is responsible to contract with a private hauler for service.
To obtain or replace your 22 gallon curbside recycling bin please contact your private hauler. You are also able to obtain a larger 32 gallon blue bin at the Broome County Landfill. There is a limit of one 32 gallon bin per household; additional 32 gallon bins can be purchased for a nominal fee.
Develop a collection system: Designate locations where recyclables and garbage will be collected. Make these locations well-known, convenient and efficient. Find out how your hauler would like materials sorted and prepared. For technical support, please call the Division of Solid Waste at 607.778.2250.
- Place recycling bins in convenient and central areas, such as laundry rooms, trash rooms or mail rooms.
- Make sure bins are large enough to accommodate the amount of recycling between collections.
- Fixing appropriate signage to collection bins will help to keep garbage and recycling separate.
It is necessary to supply the proper amount of space for your recyclables.
An estimate of the amount of area you will need is:
- 100 square ft. for 10 units with 5 square ft. for each additional unit.
- A 40 or 20 yard bin will require at least 160-192 square feet
- A 3 yard bin will require at least 12 square feet
- A 2 yard bin will require at least 8 square feet
Provide recycling education to new residents when they first move in.
- The Division of Solid Waste Management can provide free educational brochures on recycling, hazardous waste and electronic recycling among other topics.
- To request a supply of brochures please call 607.778.2250. or email Debra.Smith@broomecountyny.gov
- Monitor the program and address issues quickly.