The Broome County Dog Shelter is dedicated to the following:
- Accepting all stray adoptable dogs and puppies from our contracted municipalities.
- Providing safe, clean housing and medical care for all adoptable dogs and puppies in our care.
- Providing a central location for owners to find and recover their missing pets.
- Accepting adoptable dogs and puppies that owners are unable to keep for any reason.
- Matching adoptable dogs and puppies with compatible, loving, adoptive families.
- Camp Barkalot - limited/specialized dog/puppy boarding for pets adopted from our shelter. Call for info.
- Providing referral information for any animal-related concern. Our staff can help you acquire the information you need!
- Promoting the importance of dog licensing, spaying and neutering, vaccinations, obedience and behavioral training.
- Increasing community awareness of the stray and pet over-population problems through shelter tours and off-site education programs.
While they wait for their forever home, consider becoming a foster guardian for one of our dogs. Eligible foster homes will be responsible for providing appropriate shelter, food, and care. While not required, previous animal care/ownership is preferred. There is no exact timeframe, but typical foster arrangements start with a duration of one month. If you're interested, contact the Broome County Dog Shelter at 607-778-2493 for additional information. A copy of the foster agreement form can be found here.
Animal Cruelty Concerns In Broome County
Call the BC Humane Society (607.724.3709) and/or the police agency responsible for the municipality where the animal(s) are being kept/neglected/abused.
For information on keeping your animals safe, click here.
Camp Barkalot is proud to offer limited boarding for that special canine family member who is unable to travel with you! We offer knowledgeable, caring staff, heated kennel floors and play/exercise yards. In the summer our yards are equipped with pools! For information on space availability or to book a "room", call the Broome County Dog Shelter at 607.778.2493.
Preparing for Emergency Evacuation with Your Pets
Remember..... if it is not safe for you to stay, it is not safe to leave your pet(s).
[ More Information ]
Heartwarming Stories . . .
Sighs of the Heart