Food Stamps or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is a federally funded program administered by the Department of Social Services for the United States Department of Agriculture. The goal of the program is to provide a higher level of nutrition to income eligible individuals and families by enhancing their ability to purchase food.  

Eligibility for the program is determined by financial criteria.  Those found eligible receive an EBT (electronic benefit card) which is scanned in any of 29 local grocery stores and farmers markets in Broome County.

Link below to applications for all benefit programs in other languages. 

·     The provided link will take the user to translated SNAP information.

·         Arabic- سيأخذ الرابط المقدم المستخدم إلى ترجمة معلومات SNAP.

·         Bengali- প্রদত্ত লিঙ্কটি ব্যবহারকারীকে অনুবাদ করা এসএনএপি তথ্যে নিয়ে যাবে

·         Traditional Chinese- 提供的鏈接會將用戶帶到已翻譯的SNAP信息。

·         Haitian-Creole- Lyen yo bay la pral pote itilizatè a nan enfòmasyon SNAP tradui.

·         Korean- 제공된 링크는 사용자에게 SNAP 정보를 번역하도록 안내합니다.

·         Russian- 제공된 링크는 사용자에게 SNAP 정보를 번역하도록 안내합니다.

·         Spanish- El enlace proporcionado llevará al usuario a la información SNAP traducida.

                           Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance

Changes to SNAP Benefit Amounts - 2023

The temporary boost to SNAP benefits put in place during the COVID-19 pandemic, known as emergency allotments, will end nationwide after the February 2023 issuance.

Households that receive SNAP and Social Security benefits will see a decrease in their SNAP benefits because of the significant cost of living increase to Social Security benefits that took effect on Jan. 1, 2023. 

 SNAP Emergency Allotments to End

Frequently Asked Questions for the
Emergency Allotment of SNAP Benefits

Answers to many frequently asked questions about the supplemental Emergency Allotment (EA) of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

What are supplemental EA SNAP benefits?

Since March 2020, Congress temporarily increased SNAP benefits because of the COVID-19 public health emergency. Supplemental EA SNAP benefits were issued to households in addition to their normal monthly SNAP benefit amount. As a result, households received more SNAP benefits each month than they would have normally been eligible for based on their income and expenses. You can learn more about supplemental EA benefits, amounts, and issuance in this New York State EA SNAP FAQ document.

Why are supplemental EA SNAP benefits ending?

Congress passed the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2023 in December 2022 that ended the supplemental EA benefits. February 2023 is the last month that supplemental EA benefits will be issued, and your SNAP benefits will return to the normal amount in March 2023. The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) and your local social services district do not have control over this change.

How will SNAP recipients be made aware of this decrease in benefits?

All SNAP households will be mailed a letter in February that explains the end of the supplemental EA benefits.  This letter is also available through your local department of social services in multiple languages. 

In addition, SNAP households with mobile phone numbers on file will receive a series of three text messages from OTDA. The messages will be sent from the phone number: 1-877-902-0684. Text messages remind households that SNAP EA benefits are ending and directs them to this EA FAQ webpage. Text messages will be sent in late January, February, and early March.

OTDA will never ask SNAP recipients for their EBT card number or PIN. Never give your card number or PIN to anyone who texts, emails or calls you asking for this information as it is likely a scam. 

In addition, an outreach flyer and social media graphic are available to assist with education and outreach efforts. 

Can I request a Fair Hearing because I am no longer receiving the EA supplement?

Emergency Allotment benefits have been eliminated under federal law, and this decision cannot be changed by a fair hearing if you request one. You may request a hearing if you believe your regular SNAP budget was improperly calculated based on your household’s circumstances.

What do I need to do?

Beginning in March 2023, you will continue to get your normal monthly SNAP benefit for as long as you are eligible.

To ensure you are receiving an accurate SNAP benefit, households that recently experienced loss of income or an increase in expenses, such as housing costs, childcare fees, child support payments or have allowable medical expenses over $35 (for those age 60 or older, or disabled), since your last recertification, can report changes to their local district office which may result in an increase in the household’s normal monthly SNAP benefit. To report a change, call your local social services district or submit a change report online through myBenefits or ACCESS HRA.

When you need to recertify, you will receive a notice with instructions on how to do so.

Any unused SNAP benefits roll over month to month. SNAP benefits will not be removed from your card if you use your benefits any time within 274 days. You can check your household’s SNAP benefit balance by visiting or by calling 1-888-328-6399.

Protect your benefits by changing your personal identification number (PIN) often, and never give your EBT card number or PIN to anyone. To learn more about protecting your benefits from theft, visit the OTDA EBT Scam Alert webpage and watch the Act Fast public service announcement video.

How can I get additional help with food or other household expenses?

If you need more help with food, visit locate food pantries in your area.

Pregnant or breastfeeding individuals and children under age 5 receiving SNAP may automatically qualify for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). Visit and click on the Wanda icon to learn more and connect with a WIC agency near you.

Coupons to purchase more fruits and vegetables with your SNAP benefits are available throughout the state. Learn more and see if your local farmers market or food store participate by visiting FreshConnect, Double Up Bucks and NYC Health Bucks.

The Affordability Connectivity Program provides discounts toward residential internet costs.

Heating assistance is available through the Home Energy Assistance Program.   


How to Apply for SNAP (Food Stamp) Benefits 

Notice to ALL SNAP Recipients - English

Notice to ALL SNAP Recipients - Spanish

SNAP Eligibility      

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) website   

Protect Yourself from EBT Skimming

SNAP Nondiscrimination Statement (Aviso sobre Normas Antidiscriminatorias):

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

With respect to public accommodations, New York State additionally prohibits discrimination based on gender identity, transgender status, gender dysphoria, sexual orientation, marital status, and military status.

(Aviso sobra Normas Antidiserimanatorias


SNAP Public Charge Outreach Poster

SNAP Public Charge Outreach Poster - Spanish

Applications, Forms and Information

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

SFSP was created to reduce the likelihood of nutritional risk for low income children during the months when schools are closed for summer recess by providing free meals at participating summer meal sites such as schools, parks, pools, recreation centers, camps, housing authorities and other neighborhood locations. Through SFSP, schools, governments and nonprofit organizations receive Federal and State funds to continue a child's physical and social development by providing meals during the summer with the number of meals and dates varying by site.

Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 1-800-522-5006

All Kids and Teens are Welcome! For a Meal near You

Call 211 or TEXT "food" or "comida" to 877-877.  You will be provided with the closest open site data information.

Locate the nearest open site with this on-line mapping tool:

When to Contact New York State EBT Customer Service. Call if:

You need your SNAP or cash account balance.
You have question or problems with your SNAP or cash account information.                                                                                                                                             
Your card is lost, stolen or damaged. 
You suspect that a transaction error occurred and you would like to file a claim.
You need information about using your benefit card or PIN.
Call toll free 1-888-328-6399 or on the Internet
Your call will be answered by an automated system.  You will be guided through menu options to help direct your call.

 Community Resources:      First Call For Help       Choose My Plate  

If you have a question regarding your benefits or would like to contact a local SNAP (Food Stamp) representative, you may call us at