To be an organization which promotes self-sufficiency and assures the protection of vulnerable individuals. We strive to have an organization which values the needs of our customers, the contributions of our staff, and the participation of our community. This vision shall be achieved through a culture which encourages continuous improvement.
Welcome to the Broome County Department of Social Services!
Interested in a job as a Caseworker Trainee, Caseworker, Social Services Examiner or Support Investigator? Currently, no civil service exam is needed for these positions.
SNAP- LDSS-5186 (Rev. 8/21) ATTENTION: PARENTS
Notice to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) & Temporary Assistance Households with Children Eligible for Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) Food Benefits. Find information at the link- https://otda.ny.gov/SNAP-COVID-19/
Access mybenefits.gov to:
- Apply for SNAP,
- Apply for Temporary Assistance,
- Apply for HEAP,
- Check to see if you are eligible for Temporary Assistance, Medicaid or tax credits,
- There is an application for Child Support Services that can be completed and mailed in or brought to the office.
- You can create an account to:
- Change Pin,
- Check your transaction history or get account balances,
- Report your EBT card lost or stolen.
- Recertify your SNAP or HEAP case.
- Report changes or view case details.
- Continue to complete a SNAP or HEAP Application and track its progress as well as submit verification and documentation
- You can also be directed to the Social Security Administration website to complete and online application
- There is a form section where you are able to download forms for Recertification form for Public Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid and SNAP, and Medicaid and Public Assistance
- You can also report fraud directly from the website.
To apply for Temporary Assistance or Emergency Assistance, please apply on line at mybenefits.gov, or visit our office.
Are you mailing in or dropping off an application for assistance? Then you must ensure that there is a good, working telephone number is on the application. Eligibility staff will be calling the phone number given on the application to set-up a follow-up appointment. If you are dropping off an application at the Front desk, the staff there will do a brief screening of your application.
If you have an active case and are trying to reach a worker in Temporary Assistance, SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), Medicaid or HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program)? Please call 607.778.1100.
Need a Medicaid Nursing Home application? Please call, 607.778.2793.
Link to: NYS Child Support website.
Phone numbers for Social Services Programs are located in the "Contact Us" portion of the website.
Child Abuse/Neglect 24 Hour State Hotline: Toll free dial '1' & then... 800-342-3720