(BROOME COUNTY) Following the significant snowfall received in Broome County Wednesday night into Thursday morning, the Broome County Office of Emergency Services wants to remind county residents of several important things to keep in mind to stay safe.
Below are some important safety messages for the public:
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow, especially you are elderly, infirm, and/or have a history of cardiovascular problems. Remove snow gradually, take frequent rest breaks, drink plenty of water, dress appropriately, and seek emergency medical care if you should develop chest discomfort, breathing difficulty, or other symptoms of a medical emergency.
- DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO TUNNEL BENEATH THE SNOW! Snow tunnels are likely to collapse, resulting in entrapment, suffocation, and death.
- Clear snow away from the outside exhaust ports of direct-vent heating appliances, such as furnaces, boilers, and water heaters. These high-efficiency appliances have become more common, and they vent out through a side wall rather than using a chimney that extends through the roof. Failure to keep these vents clear can result in a dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide in the home.
- Should your primary source of heat fail, DO NOT use any type of fuel-burning appliance that is not specifically designed for indoor use, as these may produce deadly amounts of carbon monoxide.
- Be certain to have a working carbon monoxide detector in your living space. Evacuate immediately and call 9-1-1 if your carbon monoxide detector should alarm.
- Be very careful when using electric space heaters. Keep them at least 3 feet away from any flammable material or surface.
Additional winter safety tips are available at https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather