Frequently Asked Questions


School Bus Safety Program


Question 1. What is Broome County’s School Bus Safety Program?

The Broome County Office of Emergency Services has implemented a School Bus Safety Program to enforcement school safety laws concerning the passing of school buses with stop arms extended to increase student safety.


Question 2. Who receives the ticket?

Notices of Liability are mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle.


Question 3. Can I receive citations for other offenses as a result of the school bus stop arm violation?

No. Drivers who receive school bus stop arm violations are cited for school bus stop arm violations only.


Question 4. How do I pay my fine?

Your payment must be received on or before the Due Date shown on the front of your Notice of Liability.

ONLINE: The fastest and easiest way to pay is online. Go to and log in with your Notice # and PIN located on the front of your Notice of Liability. Click the Pay button. A fee may apply for online payments.

BY PHONE: Call (toll free) 1-866-790-4111 and select option 1. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A fee may apply for phone payments.

BY MAIL: Mail your check or money order (payable to Broome County, New York) in the enclosed envelope with the coupon printed at the bottom of the front side of your Notice of Violation. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Be sure to put the Notice # on the face of your payment.

PAY CASH WITH MONEYGRAM: Pay at the nearest CVS Pharmacy or Walmart, or to find a MoneyGram location nearest to you, call 1-800-926-9400 or visit Use receive code 19044. There is a convenience fee.


Question 5. How can I contest this Notice of Violation?

You have the following options that must be acted upon by the Due Date of your Notice of Liability:


The owner of the vehicle shall be responsible for this Notice of Liability except where evidence is provided, at the time and place of the violation, the ownership of the motor vehicle had been transferred or a citation has been issued by a police officer for this infraction.

Sign and mail the Affidavit of Non-Responsibility (along with all supporting documentation) back before the Due Date on the front of this Notice. Please mail to Violation Processing Center, PO Box 22091, Tempe, AZ 85285-2091, email to, or fax to 1-480-990-4819. You will be notified of the outcome by mail. Keep in mind that submitting the Affidavit will NOT automatically result in the closure of this matter. If further information is required, you will be notified.


If you would like to request an Administrative Hearing, sign the coupon below and mail it in the enclosed envelope to the address on the front of this Notice. You will receive a hearing notification in the mail that will include the date, time, and location of your hearing. By requesting a hearing, you acknowledge that if found Liable, you will be responsible for the civil penalty. If you fail to attend your hearing you will be found liable and will be responsible for the fine civil penalty. If you choose to pay the civil penalty before your hearing date you do not need to attend the hearing.


Question 6. How can I see the video and images captured for my Notice of Violation?

The recorded images and video will be submitted as evidence in any Administrative Hearing for this violation. You may view your images online at You will need your Notice # and PIN shown on the front of this Notice of Violation. If you do not have a computer/smartphone or internet access, you may visit any of your public libraries for assistance in getting online to see your evidence.


Question 7: Does this violation get reported to my insurance?

No, this violation does not get reported to your insurance.


Question 8: Does this violation get reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles?

No, this violation does not get reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles.


Question 9: Does this violation add points to my license?

No, this violation does not add points to your driver’s license because it is not reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles.


Question 10: Can the fine be reduced?

No, the fines have been set by New York State and cannot be reduced by Broome County, the School Bus Stop-Arm Safety Program, nor the Courts and Judges.


Question 11: Can liability for the violation be transferred if I was not the driver?

No, the registered owner of the vehicle is liable for the violation.


Question 12: What happens if I do not pay my fine nor request a hearing in the time specified?

Delinquent accounts may be sent to collections.


If you have any questions, please contact the Customer Service (toll free) at 1-(866)-790-4111.