Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program
This program provides free, unbiased, confidential assistance with health care questions and concerns. Information and counseling is provided by professionally trained volunteers and staff members who help individuals make informed decisions. This program is contracted through Action for Older Persons, Inc.
You can make an appointment with a HIICAP counselor to get help with:
- Medicare eligibility, benefits, claims filing
- Community and facility Medicaid eligibility, benefits, and spousal protection
- Medigap supplemental insurance policy coverage, comparison information, and claims filing
- Medicare Savings Programs & SSA Extra Help (Low Income Subsidy*) eligibility and enrollment
- Long-Term Care planning and insurance, including the NYS Partnership for Long-Term Care
- Employer and retiree health insurance plans as supplemental Medicare policies, and comparisons with Medigap policies
- Prescription drug coverage, including Medicare Part D plans and EPIC
- Medicare Advantage including Private Fee for Service and PPO Plans
- Medicare preventive and health screening benefits
*If you are looking for an application for the Low Income Subsidy (for extra help to pay for the monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and co-payments related to the Medicare Prescription Drug program), visit the Social Security Administration website at https://www.socialsecurity.gov/i1020.
For more information about this valuable program or help understanding your health insurance options, call Action for Older Persons, Inc. at 607.722.1251 or visit the website at http://actionforolderpersons.org/programs/health-insurance-information-counseling-and-assistance-program-hiicap/ If you don't get directly to the health insurance page, go to "programs" on the menu bar and then select Health Insurance Information Assistance and Counseling from the drop down.