In June New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an Executive Order requiring local governments to perform a comprehensive review of current police force deployments, strategies, policies, procedures, and practices, and develop a plan to improve them. To see the executive order click here.
Per the Governor's Executive Order, every locality must adopt a plan for reform by April 1, 2021 to be eligible for future state funding.
For guidance on the New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative click here.
Broome County Police Review Taskforce Members:
- Kevin McManus - Broome County Deputy County Executive
- Colleen Wagner - Broome County Executive's Office
- Captain Kathleen Newcomb - Broome County Sheriff's Office
- Sergeant Sam Davis - Broome County Sheriff's Office
- Mike Korchack - Broome County District Attorney
- Michael Baker - Broome County Public Defender
- Scott Baker - Broome County Legislator
- Kim Myers - Broome County Legislator
- Sandra Felton - Community Liaison
- Amber Jennings - Community Liaison
- Pastor Mario Williams - Faith Community
- Nancy Williams - Broome County Department of Social Services and Mental Health Commissioner
- December 8, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- December 15, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- December 22, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- December 29, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- January 12, 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
- January 19. 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
- January 26, 2021
- February 2, 2021
- February 16, 2021
- March 2, 2021
- April 1, 2021
Public Listening Session
The Broome County Police Review Taskforce will host a public zoom listening session for residents of Broome County to participate in. Residents will be able to share their thoughts regarding the Broome County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Sheriffs and Detectives.
- January 13, 2021 - 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Register via Zoom here.
If you are interested in submitting your comments and recommendations for the Broome County Sheriff's Office: Deputy Sheriffs and Detectives click here.
To Learn More About Your Local Law Enforcement:
For information on the Broome County Sheriff's Office click here.