How to Access Broome County Services

Due to public health concerns, County facilities have been closed to the public. Many will reopen on Monday, June 22, 2020. Below is information on how to access departments. Additionally, we've included some frequently accessed County services and how you can access them from your home. If you have any questions about a specific service, please contact the appropriate department.

Here is a complete list of County facilities now open to the public:

  • Broome County Office Building
    • Office for Aging
      • Limited walk-ins will be accepted. Please call (607) 778-2411.
    • Board of Elections
    • Clerk’s Office
      • Broome County Clerk Joseph Mihalko is re-opening the Broome County Clerk’s Office effective Monday, June 22, 2020.
      • The office will be open 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.
      • For the first few weeks, public access will be by appointment only. Appointments for can be made by contacting to set up a time.
      • For information on DMVs click here.
    • The Legislature Office
    • Office of Management and Budget/Treasury
      • Please mail in tax certificate requests with payment and self-addressed return envelope
      • Please send tax payments by mail, receipts will be mailed back
      • Any requests for certificates of residency should be mailed.
      • OMB’s mailing address is PO Box 1766, 60 Hawley Street, Binghamton, NY 13902
      • To determine the amount of delinquent taxes owed, call (607) 778-2161 or (607) 778- 2238. Receipts will be mailed.
      • For your current tax bill contact Broome County Real Property Tax Services
    • Personnel
    • Planning and GIS Mapping Services
      • Open by appointment only. No walk-ins will be accepted at this time. Visit the Planning page for additional information or call (607) 778-2114. Online mapping requests can be made at
    • Purchasing
      • Purchasing offices have reopened. Available in person by appointment only
      • Please continue to contact us at BCPurchasing@BroomeCounty.US or (607) 778-2188.
      • Public Bid Openings have resumed
    • Real Property Tax Services
      • Residents who need to make tax payments should call the Real Property Tax Service in advance to determine the details of their payment. Payments should be mailed in. Payments that must be dropped off in person should be deposited in a drop-box located in the lobby of the County Office Building. Call (607) 778-2169 with questions or to make an appointment.
    • Security
    • Veterans Services
      • If you would like to make an appointment call (607) 778-2147.
  • Broome County DPW Highway
  • Broome County Dog Shelter
  • Broome County Health Department
    • The Broome County Health Department will be open by appointment only from June 22- July 5th. Please call ahead to (607) 778-3930 to make an appointment.
  • Broome County Landfill
  • Broome County Office of Emergency Services
  • Broome County Parks
  • Broome County Public Library
    • Curbside pickup only.
    • The library will reopen on July 1 on an appointment only basis. You can make an appointment online or by calling (607) 778-6451. For more information head to
  • Broome County Sheriff’s Office
    • The administrative building is open to the public for IDs and pistol permits.
    • The Civil Office is open.
    • Visitation at the Broome County Correctional Facility is still suspended at this time. Attorneys needing to make contact with clients, please contact visitation for assistance.
  • Broome County Transit
  • Career and Community Services Center of Broome County
    • Office of Employment and Training by appointment only.
      • Department of Labor employees will not be on site, no unemployment insurance information is available.
    • Broome County Department of Social Services: This site handles Medicaid, SNAP, and HEAP benefits. Applicants can apply online for HEAP and SNAP. You must apply for Medicaid at (855) 355-5777.
    • Broome County Department of Mental Health
      • Large community-based meetings and court-ordered mental health evaluations, that have been held via web-based conferencing platform, will continue to be held virtually for the next several months.
      • 1:1 client-facing services are determined on a case-by-case basis.
  • The Department of Social Services
    • The Broome County Department of Social Services’ Main St. office has been open to the public during the entirety of the COVID-19 Pandemic. This site handles applications for Public Assistance which include emergency housing assistance and other Temporary Assistance Programs. Community members can find the application online and submit the application through the mail, drop box or by coming into the office.
  • Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
    • The Box Office will be open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • George R. Harvey Justice Building
    • The Probation Department will be open to the public on June 22, 2020. We are seeing individuals newly sentenced to probation or placed on Pre-Trial Release in person after they are sentenced or released from the jail, all other clients should have an appointment, they may contact the department at (607) 778-2121 in order to speak with their probation officer regarding when to report or to schedule an appointment.
    • The Public Defender’s Office is open to the public by telephone appointment only (607) 778-2403. We cannot accept walk-in clients for intake or attorney appointments at this time due to limited available space. Likewise, unless previously authorized, only the client is allowed in the office in order that we can maintain acceptable social distancing in our waiting room.
      • Note: Effective October 2, 2020 the Broome County Public Defender’s Office will be temporarily closed to the public. Those who have existing intake or attorney appointments will be contacted by our office to reschedule their appointments. Those needing to make an intake appointment with our office please contact (607) 778-2403 to schedule an interview that will be conducted virtually or by telephone.
  • Greater Binghamton Airport
    • Flights continue as scheduled.
  • Willow Point Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
    • For information on visitation click here.

The following facilities remain closed:

    • Broome County Forum Theatre
    • Broome County Office for Aging Senior Center

        Changes will be made as we continue to evaluate the situation. You can reach any department by contacting (607) 778-8000

        How can I pay my taxes?

        All Real Property taxpayers are requested to mail in their tax payments prior to March 31, 2020 to BC Director of OMB at PO Box 2087 Binghamton, NY 13902 (include a copy of your tax bill). You can also look up your tax information and pay online at

        Broome County Taxpayers currently in Installment Agreements are requested to mail payments before the end of each month to: BC Director of OMB, PO Box 2087, Binghamton, NY 13902 (include your control/agreement number on your check).

        How do I submit a response to a public bid or RFQ?

        All open bids can be reviewed and responded to through BidNet.

        How can I register to vote or apply for an absentee ballot?

        Voter registration forms and absentee ballot applications are available at the Broome County Board of Elections website.

        How can I access senior center services?

        As of March 17, all senior centers are closed. For hot meals, you may pick-up meals from the senior centers. Please call 607-778-2411 to reserve a meal. For other services, please call United Way at 211.

        How can I submit a FOIL request?

        You may still submit FOIL requests online here.

        How can I apply for a job?

        Broome County jobs may be viewed here. Applications can be completed and mailed or emailed to the specified department.

        How can I apply for social services?

        A variety of services can be access through They include the following:

        • Apply for SNAP
        • Apply for HEAP
        • Check to see if they are eligible for Temporary Assistance, Medicaid or tax credits
        • There is an application for Child Support Services that can be completed and mailed in or brought to the office.
        • You can create an account to:
        • Change Pin
        • Check your transaction history or get account balances
        • Report your EBT card lost or stolen
        • Recertify your SNAP or HEAP case
        • Report changes or view case details.
        • Continue to complete a SNAP or HEAP Application and track its progress as well as submit verification and documentation

        You can also be directed to the Social Security Administration website to complete and online application

        There is a form section where you are able to download forms for Recertification form for Public Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid and SNAP, and Medicaid and Public Assistance

        You can also report fraud directly from the website.

        How can I access the County Clerk's records services?

        Online searching can be done through our records website. This includes a variety of civil actions, business records, and land records. Civil actions can still be e-filed through the NYSCEF e-filing system. Deeds, mortgages, maps and other items can be e-recorded using one of 4 approved e-recording platforms: CSC, ePartners Network, Indecomm, and Simplifile.