Health and Wellness Opportunities
Indoor Walking Program
The Broome County Office for Aging and the local school districts have teamed up to offer senior citizens indoor walking during the winter months.
Sites are open through April 30, 2015. Seniors can walk through the hallways at the designated sites only during the scheduled times, Monday – Friday. When the schools are closed for holidays and snow days, etc. the walking program will also be closed.
A registration form is required to walk. You can get your walking registration forms and incentive sheets here.
Staying well, understanding health issues, and remaining active are very important to seniors. You are welcomed to join us for any or all of our activities!
- Health screenings are offered at area senior centers. Some of the screenings include: skin cancer, breast cancer, stroke, hearing and vision.
- Health forums are presented by doctors, nurses and other health care professionals on a variety of topics at area senior centers.
- Physical activity classes at senior centers include: line dancing, chair exercise, yoga, Zumba and classes to help prevent the problems of osteoporosis. There are additional exercise classes offered for a variety of physical activity levels.
- Specialty programs, at a variety of locations, includes indoor walking programs, stress management sessions, Senior Games, pickleball, tai chi, and flu clinics.
If you are age 60 years and older you may participate in the programs provided at the senior community centers. Some community programs are offered to you at age 55 and older. A fee is required in a few cases. Costs are always kept to a minimum.
Specialty Wellness Program
Better Balance for Broome
Falls Prevention Programs
Falls Prevention Tai Chi Programs for Seniors
Protect yourself and maintain your independence with these evidence-based programs proven to reduce the risk of falls.
Programs include: Moving for Better Balance, Tai Chi for Arthritis and Tai Chi for Beginners.
Stepping On: A Wellness Program to Prevent Falls
Gain knowledge and strategies to stay independent and to have a greater awareness and understanding of how to prevent a fall.
Upcoming Classes: Spring/Summer 2015 class schedule
For more information call Diane at (607) 757-0750 or Donna at (607) 765-4180.
Living Healthy is a program focused on teaching participants how to become confident in their ability to manage health issues while maintaining active and fulfilling lives. The program teaches participants how to manage chronic conditions such as arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, glaucoma, emphysema and asthma. There are various opportunities to practice and master self-management techniques that will positively affect each participant's quality of life. Participants meet once a week for six weeks.
The sessions will cover:
- techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation;
- appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance;
- appropriate use of medications;
- communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals;
- nutrition; and,
- how to evaluate new treatments.
The program does not conflict with existing programs or treatment; it is designed to enhance regular treatment.
Learn more about becoming a leader.
Leaders go through a fun and educational four day training, all materials and lunches are provided. Volunteer leaders are currently being recruited. All Living Healthy sessions are co-taught and people of any age can be trained to lead these sessions. One person leading the session has to have at least one chronic disease or be a caregiver of someone with a chronic disease. Friends can be trained together to lead the sessions, or partners can be assigned after completion of the training. Call RSVP at 607-231-0726 for more information.
Living Healthy is brought to you by RSVP of Broome County, Broome County Office for Aging, New York State Office for the Aging, and the Administration on Aging
For more information, please call RSVP at 607-231-0726.
Health and Wellness Opportunities Frequently Asked Questions