(BINGHAMTON) An Expansion of Child Care Assistance Program grant has been awarded to the Broome County Department of Social Services to expand the availably of subsidized childcare in Broome County.
This is a one-time grant which is targeted to expand availability of childcare subsidies to more residents in Broome County. Broome County was one of several counties awarded an Expansion of Child Care Assistance Program grant for 2020-2021.
Changes that Broome County DSS will be implementing include:
- Expanding subsidies for temporary assistance (TA) recipients and low-income families not receiving TA, with income up to 200% of FPL, for obtaining a GED, attending basic remedial education, literacy training, ESL, two-year college degree, prevocational training or vocational training through Department of Labor. *
- Expanding subsidies for low income families not receiving TA, with income up to 200% FPL, who are attending college and working 17.5 hours. Include study time (1 hour for each hour of class).
- Expanding subsidies for low income families not receiving TA, with income up to 200% of FPL, and working 17.5 hours, who are attending an educational or training program to allow eventual attainment of a 4-year degree, not to exceed 30 consecutive calendar months.
- Expanding subsidies for low income families, not receiving TA, with income up to 200% FPL who lose jobs, and are job searching from 6 weeks to 12 weeks.
- We will begin including 18, 19, and 20-year-olds in the household count for determining eligibility and parental share when it will benefit the family.
- In addition to absences for child or parent illnesses, all providers except the legally exempt providers will also receive payment for absences due to court appearances related to provision of preventive, foster care, adoption and child protective services.
- Program closures will be covered for the following days, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and States of Emergency when parent/guardian is scheduled to work or participate in an approved activity.
Additionally, the Broome County Day Care Unit has moved to the DSS building at 36-42 Main St. Binghamton. Their hours of availability have not changed and are also attached.