(BINGHAMTON, NY) – With high temperatures expected in Broome County over the next several days, the Broome County Executive’s Office and Health Department want you to know where you can go to cool down. This is also a good time to think about heat safety measures to prevent possible heat illnesses.
Here is a list of places you can go to cool down in Broome County as suggested by the NYS Department of Health. *Note some of these places may not be open on the weekend.
- Broome County Public Library, 185 Court Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-778-6400
- Broome West Senior Center, 2801 Wayne Street, Endwell, 13760, 607-785-3427
- Columbus Park Spray Pad, 9 Columbus Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7168
- Deposit Senior Center, 14 Monument Street, Deposit, 13754, 607-467-3953
- Dorchester Park, 5469 NY Rt 26, Whitney Point, 13862, 607-692-4612
- Eastern Broome Senior Center, 27 Golden Lane, Harpursville, 13787, 607-693-2069
- Fairview Pool (small pool), 54 Fairview Ave, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7208
- Fenton Free Library, 1062 Chenango Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-724-8649
- George F Johnson Memorial Library, 1001 Park Street, Endicott, 13760, 607-757-5350
- Greenwood Park, 153 Greenwood Road, Lisle, 13797, 607-862-9933
- Highland Park Pool, 801 Hooper Road, Endwell, 13760, 607-786-2970
- Johnson City Senior Center, 30 Brocton Street, Johnson City, 13790,607-797-3145
- MacArthur Pool (small pool), 1081 Vestal Ave, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7205
- Mary L Wilcox Library, 2630 Main Street, Whitney Point, 13862, 607-692-3159
- Nathaniel Cole Park, 1674 Colesville Road, Harpursville, 13787, 607-693-2700
- North Shore Towers Senior Center, 24 Isbell Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-6214
- North Side Pool, 1 Pleasant Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7202
- Northern Broome Senior Center, 12 Strongs Place, Whitney Point, 13862, 607-692-3405
- Oakdale Mall, 601-635 Harry L Drive, Johnson City, 13790, 607-798-9380
- Recreation Park, 103 Laurel Ave, Binghamton, 13901,607-772-9166
- South Side Pool, 95 Jackson Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7204
- Spray Park at CFJ Park, 98 CFJ Blvd, Johnson City, 13790, 607-797-3031
- Vestal Memorial Pool, 209 Clayton Ave, Vestal, 13850, 607-754-3368
- Vestal Senior Center, 201 Main Street, Vestal, 13850, 607-754-9596
- West Endicott Park Pool (small pool), 525 Maple Street, Endicott, 13760, 607-786-2970
- Your Home Public Library, 107 Main Street, Johnson City, 13790, 607-797-4816
Additionally, here are some heat safety tips provided by the Broome County Health Department:
- Spend some time each day in an air-conditioned space. For example, your residence, a neighbor’s, or a public or retail building.
- Unless your doctor has specifically told you not to, drink lots of water.
- Perform heavy outdoor labor during the early morning or evening.
- If you know older people who live alone, check in with them in person or by phone.
- Don’t leave children or pets unattended in vehicles. Vehicles interior temperatures can place children and pets in danger.
- Try to stay in the shade when outdoors
Additional information on heat related illness can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/extremeheat/