The County Clerk is the County’s Records Management Officer and is responsible for overseeing the records management process for all the County’s departments through our Records Management Division. Many of the County’s inactive and archived records are housed at the County Records Center on Floral Ave in Binghamton.
The Records Management Division is responsible for storing and maintaining County Departments’ records at the Records Center, as well as overseeing the proper retention and destruction based on New York State Guidelines. Physical records that reside in the Records Center remain under the custody of the department that created them. Questions about individual record series should be directed to the department of origin. Please feel free to contact this office for instruction on finding the appropriate department.
Additional Records Management functions include:
- Scanning all current land and court records to create a permanent copy of these documents for our records as well as allowing these documents to be viewed and printed by the general public.
- Maintaining the county’s inactive records at the Records Center.
- Scanning county department records to be retained digitally by the department.
- Retrieving files for county personnel, abstractors and the general public.
- Destruction of records that have met their retention requirements.
- Preserving vital historical and archival records.
New York State Archives County Records Management Retention and Disposition Schedule: http://www.archives.nysed.gov/common/archives/files/mr_pub_co2.pdf
You can contact Records Management directly at 607-763-4936 or Clerkinfo@BroomeCounty.us