Sharps & Unwanted Medications Disposal
Unwanted Medication Guidelines
Saturday, September 27, 2014 Special Collections from 10am-2pm:
BROOME COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE 155 LT. VANWINKLE DR. BINGHAMTON, NY
JOHNSON CITY ELKS 4212 WATSON BLVD JOHNSON CITY, NY
SCOOPS ICE CREAM 32876 STATE RT 11 WHITNEY POINT, NY
VESTAL FIRE STATION 4 3341 VESTAL PKWY E VESTAL, NY
Unwanted medications can be brought to a permanent collection box located at:
Broome County Sheriff's Office (Administration lobby)
155 Lt. VanWinkle Drive
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday
NOTE: Please remove medication from plastic bottle and put into a sealed zip lock bag.
*Additional off-site collections will be held throughout the year through the Sheriff's office.
Household Sharps Disposal Guidelines
Household Sharps & Medical Waste Guide
- Place used Sharps in a sharps container. Containers can be purchased at the local drug store. If you do not have a sharps container use a plastic bottle that cannot be broken or punctured, such as a detergent bottle. Screw cap on & tape cap. Write “SHARPS” on the container. Bring to a designated drop-off location that accepts sharps.
- Place sharps in container directly after use. Keep container closed and away from children and pets. Store in a secure location.
- When traveling bring container with you.
- Don’t put sharps containers in the trash.*
- Don’t clip, bend or put the cap back on used sharps
- Don’t put loose used sharps or used sharps container in with the recyclables
- Don’t put used sharps in soda cans, milk cartons, glass bottles or containers that can be broken or punctured. Coffee cans are not safe because plastic lids come off easily, leak and can be punctured.
Sharps Disposal Locations